Saturday 21 January 2012

Aussie Open 3rd round thoughts



Fanatic Omes:

Tournament faves

Andy Murray was on another level somewhere in space against his EXO against Llodra. The shotmaking from both was CRAY but literally everything Llodra, - who had to serve so many hotdogs, you'd think he had his own stand - everything Llodra hit at Muzz came back with, as Serena would say, aplomb. There were outrageous volleys, lobs, passes and even a backwards roll from Muzzard to claim the 2nd set. Guys Andy was enjoying himself out there. Uh oh.

Nole is still crushing it. Keep the line moving, nothing to see here. Ditto for all my women faves.

Rafa Report

Rafa's serve is giving me happies. 81 % first serves in, during the match against Lacko? Yes please, I'll have fries and a coke zero with mine. And he still hasn't dropped a set. All is well.

The Future of Men's Tennis

If you were ever wondering what the outcome of two of the most idiosyncratic characters on the tour playing each other was like, you got your answer in the 3rd round Dolgo/Tomic clash. And that answer was probably the most thrilling match of the tournament so far. 

I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm down with the current men's game. It's strong, it's fast, it's powerful - that's how I like my sports. I like muscle (both figuratively and physically.) Don't get me wrong variety is just as important, but are you saying Roger, Rafa, Nole, Andy Tsonga - I could go on - don't have variety in their game? Exactly. 

I do prefer Dolgo's game to Tomic's - there are more "out-of-nowhere" shots and there's a lot more creativity. Tomic on the other hand doesn't hide the fact that he plays junk tennis. It may be skilled, but it's messy, sleepy and not as pretty. Don't get me wrong - he's going to grow up to be fantastic (lest he stops the cheating), but if he's the future of men's tennis, count me out. Junk tennis belongs in the trash. 

Regardless, I'm looking forward to his showdown with Roger.

Sneakers

Nico Almagro is in the 4th round guys, and according to caropaquin80, has made it this far at the AO for the past 3 years! I know. He defeated Stan in straights, the sneaky mofo. Another character trundling along nicely is Berdych who no one seems to be talking about. They play each other next so one of them will be sneaking their way out.

Chicas in pain

Anabel Medina Garrigues after the long wait for Dolpo/Tomic retired in tears during her match against Li Na, after taking a step wrong and twisting her ankle. Eurosport of course didn't fail to replay the moment over and over - thanks guys. Kiri after a highly anticipated 3rd rounder with Kvitty also had to bow out with a groin injury. Both ladies showed courage and tried to play on for a bit but their bodies just didn't let them. Get well soon girls.

Aussie glory

Bet you didn't think there'd be two Aussie heroes flying the flag this far, or at least you didn't think one of them wouldn't be Samantha. Hewitt showed a somewhat flat Milos how it was done in 4 sets, and I'm sure is really pleased that he's making this comeback on home soil. 

Tip 

Go ahead and watch the video above if you haven't yet - oh, it's worth it. At least from 2:46 minutes in.

(Vid: WilsonRacquet on YouTube)

No comments:

Post a Comment