Thursday 2 June 2011

The Semi-Final of Dreams


Neutral Omes:

Roland Garros this year has looked the most competitive it has been for the last five years or so. Only fitting then that the best competitors – the best four in the world, have pulled through. With doubt being raised over the resident King of Clay’s dominance this year, the other rivals are surely feelinng that the crown is more within their reach than it ever has been; and are therefore looking to grab the bull (aka Nadal) by the horns.

Don’t take my word for it. Just ask them:

 “I can definitely win.” - Murray

Andy Murray has shown grit and determination all tournament even in the face of injury; fighting time and time again from break points down to close out matches, and now has made his first ever Roland Garros semi-final. He hasn’t come all this way just to be satisfied with getting to this point, and has the self-belief to pass the ultimate test in Nadal and go even further.

"For me, the plan is trying to get a step further and into the final of the French Open.” - Federer

Roger Federer has looked in impervious form all through this tournament and remains the only semi-finalist not to have dropped a set. He’s looking to get his revenge on Novak Djokovic who he has lost to three times this year, but the 16 time Grand Slam champion no doubt relishes the challenge.

“I’m ready...and eager to get more wins.” - Djokovic

What more can be said about 2011’s champion, Novak Djokovic? Winning against Federer would not only give the Serb his much coveted world no. 1 ranking, but would see him equal John McEnroe’s 42-match undefeated streak from the start of a season. And insistent that his recent four-day break hasn’t interrupted his rhythm, he most certainly has the confidence and form to do so.

“Today I was ready to beat the no. 5 in the world...we will see what’s going on [in the] next round.” - Nadal

Nadal has regained his confidence after an emphatic dismissal of Soderling his quarter-final match. The Spaniard was much happier with the form and attitude, but remains ever modest, understanding the difficult road that lies between him and victory. There is no doubt however that he will give it his absolute all in order to re-assert his authority on clay; and for any opponent that is a scary proposition.

Click "Read more" to view my silly, but unashamed thoughts.


Fanatic Omes:

V-V-V-AMOS!!!! Ok so Andy IS a threat and seems to be the break-point/come-back king so I’m not totally colm. But I am confident. I mean the guy has been there 5 times before, unless he spontaneously combusts I’m sure he’ll be able to edge out the win. Anyway he’s playing well enough to do so. And I know I love Murray, but when anyone goes up against Rafs they become my enemy. So Andy – back off! You can have Wimbledon...next year.

Ok Roger, I implore you - DESTROY Nole. OKthankyoubye. If Nole loses I’ll start to love him lots again. And then I’ll feel bad. Ah well. Sacrifices.

Sooooo the big dogs are getting in the ring. Us tennisheads couldn’t really have asked for more – (except perhaps a proposal from the non-married ones and a cessation of existence of their girlfriends.)

I. CANNOT. WAIT.

(Pics: blogbettor, sportinglife)

No comments:

Post a Comment